Surangama is a Gold Medalist All-India First position in Sangeet Praveen, Prayag Sangeet Samiti, Allahabad.
Surangama also holds a Masters degree in Psychology. Through the years she has brought together psychology and Kathak to create a new genre of performing arts. Surangama believes that performing arts has therapeutic effect on human well-being.
She was working with Performing Arts Therapy Centre, Rabindra Bharati University.
She was invited as a Guest Professor by the Department of Applied Theatre Science of Justus Liebig University, Germany to teach theory & practice of Kathak Dance for the winter semester of 2005. She is the first Indian Kathak artiste to receive this honour.
Every year she visits Europe and specially Germany for workshops, lecture-demonstrations and performances.
She has performed extensively through the years all over India, Germany, United Kingdom, USA and Canada.
At present, engaged in conceiving dance movements based on Kathak with Western Classical Music and Rabindra Sangeet.
Gave judgment for Nehru Talent Search Competition. Examiner of theoretical and practical examination of Classical Indian Dances held by Tagore Society, Jamshedpur & Prayag Sangeet Samiti, Allahabad.
Worked as a counselor at the Child Guidance Clinic in Moulali, at Career Guidance and Counseling Centre in Asutosh College Training Centre and also at Techno India and Gokhale Memorial College.
She is the Director of her own institution Deodar Suchanda Sangitalaya at Kolkata which produces many talented dance & music artistes. She is also the Head of the Dance Department at Bengal Music College, Kolkata.
|•s Conceived and choreographed a unique ballet in Kathak style based on the poems and songs of the great German poet, Heinrich Heine. This recital was performed at Max Mueller Bhavan, Indian Museum, Mahajati Sadan, Gyan Mancha and other places.
• Performed at Nehru Centre, London and at Manitoba University Hall, Canada in the year 2002.
• Conceived and choreographed Sant Kabir’s Doha in Kathak style, which was highly appreciated in India and abroad.
• Conceived and choreographed Shakespeare’s Macbeth for the first time in Indian Classical Dance form (Dance Drama style). It was highly acclaimed by the media.
• Choreographed the IPTA (Bharatiya Gana Natya Sangha) songs in Kathak and folkdance forms, which was widely praised by the mass.
• Choreographed & presented German poet Goethe’s West-Oestlicher Divan in Kathak style.
• Choreographed and presented Schiller’s “Ode To Joy” in Kathak style at the International Symposium on Schiller at Paderborn.
• Worked as a Therapist at Missionaries of Charity.
• Received the Bharat Jyoti Award from IIFS (India International Friendship Society) as a recognition for her achievement and contributions in the socio-cultural field both nationally and internationally in the year 2011.
• Received the Best Citizens of India Award from the International Publishing House in the year 2011.
• Received the Certificate of Excellence in honour of her outstanding performance and dedication to the Indian Cultural Heritage at Gorky Sadan